I can tell that last winter was brutal (and it still lingers in the back of my mind) because my summer thoughts and behaviors are a bit different than in previous years!
7 things that don’t really bother me this summer that usually annoy me by mid-August:
1. The humidity. I have repeatedly turned off the central A/C this summer just to let the humidity sink into the house. The. Heat. Feels. Good.
2. The house flies. I’ll admit I’ve yelled for those “vermin” to get off my food, but I’m not hunting them down with newspaper!
3. The birds chirping at the crack of dawn. Too many of last winter’s mornings were pitch black until 8am. I love the birds chirping at the first streak of the dawn’s light!
4. The endless clumps of grass on the hallway floors, falling off of my husband’s sneakers after he mows the lawn!
5. The pool water puddles across the doorway and kitchen floor as kids are en route to the bathroom after leaving the swimming pool!
6. The mountain of wet pool towels piled up nightly in my mudroom.
7. The doors left open by the kids when the A/C is on! The summer air is wonderful….
And, a few things that DO bother me that never usually do?
1. The first sign of autumn: I usually appreciate the sight of the very first red leaf appearing on my front bushes. I think of how I will decorate the porch for autumn…This year, I do not feel appreciative of that leaf at all but I did take a picture for you:
2. Rainy days and cooler nights. We’ve had a recent stretch of both. Normally, I view such days as a good opportunity to catch up with the inside chores. This summer, I walk out to the porch and watch the rain.
3. Back to school shopping. By now, the kids’ backpacks are usually packed, folders and binders are labeled and clothes are purchased. I just can’t bear the thought of summer ending :(. This year, I have not bought a single supply, nor the much-needed new sneakers. I have two more weeks…
4. Earlier sunsets. Last summer, I would have decided it was about time to get to bed earlier and start rising earlier.
This year, the sun setting a tiny bit earlier each night is a vivid reminder that I cannot escape what is on its way…
Enjoy The Remainder of Summer!!
“For everything there is a season…”